top of page
Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

Wildife Rehabilitation

Why do birds come to the Raptor Center?

Injured and orphaned raptors are brought to the Center by concerned individuals. Most of the injuries the raptors receive are human-related, directly or indirectly such as car strikes or caught by cats.


What kind of birds come to the Raptor Center?

Although there may be 15-18 different species admitted each year, five species account for over 80% of the admissions: red-tailed hawks, Cooper's hawks, American kestrels, Eastern screech-owls, and Great horned owls. 


Returning Birds to the Wild

When possible, we return nestlings and fledglings to their parents or the nest site area. When that is not possible, they may be raised at the Raptor Center, given the opportunity to catch live prey, and released into suitable habitat. Adult raptors are released where they were found because they may have a territory with a mate and young depending on the time of year.

If you encounter a raptor that appears to be injured or ill, first call the Raptor Center at 937-767-6656. We can advise you on whether the bird needs help and what steps to follow. If you are unable to reach us, please follow these steps:


1. Contain


Use gloves and a towel or blanket to cover the bird. Place the raptor in a cardboard box or plastic bin slightly larger than the bird itself.  Never put a wild bird in a wire cage, because of the possibility of damage to its feathers.

2. Call


Please call 937-767-6656 and let us know you are on your way.  If you are unable to reach us, keep the bird in a cool, quiet place. Do not offer food or water or attempt to care for it yourself as it may result in injury to you or the bird.

3. Deliver


The Raptor Center receives over 200 annually birds that require emergency care. The best way you can help an injured raptor is to transport the bird directly to the center.  This allows us to optimize the care for each bird.

If you find other wildlife that needs help, Brukner Nature Center,  located in Troy, accepts songbirds, waterfowl, reptiles, and most mammals. They can be reached at 937-698-6493.


If you live in another part of Ohio, check the Ohio Wildlife Rehabilitators Association for a list of permitted wildlife rehabilitators, or call your Ohio Division of Wildlife district office for assistance.

What to do if you find an injured raptor

The Glen Helen Raptor Center operates the area's only raptor rehabilitation center.  The goal of wildlife rehabilitation is to release healthy individuals back to the wild.  We are able to do that with nearly half of the approximately 200 birds admitted each year, giving them a second chance at life in the wild.

bottom of page