Day Camp Naturalist Counselor APPLY HERE
Our Naturalist Counselors form a fun, passionate, engaged learning community who are interested in a making a difference in the lives of children. This is a summer job that will strengthen your ability to plan, teach and lead. We share the values of being inclusive, growing new skills, learning together, and communicating well in order to work together effectively. Staff live onsite in the midst of the beautiful 1,000-acre Glen Helen Nature Preserve. The vibrant and artistic Village of Yellow Springs is within walking distance. No vehicle is required for the job, but you are welcome to bring one.
The Day Camp Naturalist Counselor is responsible for a trail group of 9-12 children each week. With staff support, they will plan a schedule of camp activities for their group that is age-appropriate and fits the theme of the week. Camper ages range from 5 to 13, and Naturalist Counselors are offered some choice for their preferences for ages and themes.
Camp descriptions can be found here: https://www.glenhelen.org/ecocamp.
Reports To: Outdoor Education Center Director
Start Date: May 30, 2021
End Date:July 31, 2021 (with potential for 1-2 week contract extension)
FLSA Status: Seasonal Employee
Schedule: 40-hour weeks, Monday-Friday, with the exception of Ecocamp training, a fairly intensive 7-days (May 30th-June 5th). Camps run for 8 weeks starting June 7th.
● Design and deliver environmental education experiences and activities for campers each week
● Lead Trail Groups from Monday morning to Friday afternoon
● Follow and enforce all Health and Safety policies
● Support overall camp operations through daily and weekly responsibilities throughout the Outdoor Education Center (primarily cleaning and sanitation of activity spaces and participation in weekly staff planning meetings)
● $220 weekly stipend, paid bi-weekly
● Housing for 8 weeks of camp + 1 week of training
● 10 meals/week (weekday breakfast and lunch) including
accommodations for dietary restrictions and allergies
● Opportunity to strengthen teaching and naturalist skills
● Freedom to create activities and learning opportunities
based on personal passions and interests
● Opportunities to work with our turtles and snakes, and
learn about birds of prey at our Raptor Center
● Minimum-18 years of age
● Passion for working with children outdoors, nature and teaching
● Applicant must be patient, hardworking, flexible and able to react well under pressure
● Previous experience communicating and interacting with children individually and in a small group setting preferred
● Willing to live in community and work closely as a team
● First Aid and CPR certification preferred
● Ability to hike uneven terrain, most work associated with this position will occur outdoors in all weather
● Must be fingerprinted and pass a FBI/Ohio BCI criminal background check prior to the start of training
If you have questions, please reach out to Sarah Cline at email@example.com or call 937.767.7648.